Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's back

About a month ago, my new camera started acting up. Apparently this specific model has had some teething problems and after a few emails, the manufacturer suggested that I send back the camera for repairs. So I duly sent the camera back the manufacturer via Fedex. After about four weeks a UPS note appeared on my door that I had a parcel from the manufacturer. I was very pleased, except that I missed the UPS guy. I tried rescheduling and after much going back and forth I was able to schedule the delivery for a day when I knew I would be at home.

So today, the camera was delivered by UPS (I remain in awe of UPS and Fedex in terms of efficiency, but will leave that for another post). I realized once again (not that I needed confirmation) that I am a complete gadget geek. I could not wait to open the parcel and get the camera out and start playing with it. Obviously I had to see whether the problem that I had was resolved. Fortunately it was, but strangely I could find no note from the manufacturer about the resolution to the problem. Too bad - I would have liked to know what happened.

I can't wait to go diving to try out the camera again. It is almost as much fun as when I first bought the camera.

Apparently, there is a medical term for what afflicts me and so many of my friends. It is called neophilla. I first learned of this term in an excellent podcast that I regularly watch called Geek Brief. According to an article that Cali from GeekBrief referenced "Neophiliacs are people who love everything new or novel". The article goes on to say

And now a team of researchers have provided these consumers with just about the greatest excuse ever for justifying their expensive compulsion to buy the newest and coolest. They can't help themselves. It turns out some people may, in fact, be more genetically predisposed than others to wanting the newest toys, gadgets and fashions.

In scientific mumbo jumbo, it seems that genetic differences mean that people produce different variations of a mitochondrial enzyme called monoamine oxidase A. That’s according to research from the Yamagata University School of Medicine in Japan, which was recently published in the scientific journal Psychiatric Genetics and mentioned in the New Scientist magazine. (source: http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_5439.asp)

This is all a little tongue in cheek, but I must admit that I do enjoy new technology. I don't think that I am a total first adoptor or pursue technology for the sake of technology, but I sure am grateful to be alive in a time of great technological developments.

No comments: